Sunday, April 15, 2012

CAD on Linux: a case study

Warning: this review is currently "work in progress". I'm updating it.


Hi folks, I'm currently working on a little task (some plants 2.5D, you can see some of them on my flickr portfolio http://www.flickr.com/photos/pietrograndi/sets/72157622248043397/).
Actually I rarely accept this kind of work, but I thought this could be an hard test for CAD on my linux laptop for a rainy Sunday :-)
So, let's test it.


Input files format: Autocad 2012 DWG
Converted to DXF 2007 with Autocad WS on Chrome - Linux Ubuntu 11.10 x64




FreeCad http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page
  • no DWG support
  • ok DXF support
  • crash on a 1.6Mb DXF
  • unable to use it, I think it's the worst cad I've used on Linux

LibreCad http://librecad.org/cms/home.html
  • no DWG support
  • ok DXF support
  • crash on a 1.6Mb DXF
  • unable to use it, too slow

2.0.5-free version
  • no DWG support
  • ok DXF support
  • it works, but I'm a registered user: why couldn't I use the commercial version???

3rc2 - commercial version
  • unable to run (tgz and bin packages)
    • error: ./qcad-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
  • I've buyed it in 2011 and use it on windows 
  • in the official forum this issues are "Discussion moved to bugtracker: "  and of course, nothing changes.
  • UPDATE:
    • I have to apologize with Ribbonsoft: on their website I've found this solution: "Ubuntu 11.04 64bit requires package "ia32-libs" to be installed."
    • installing "ia32-libs" through Ubuntu Software Center solved the issue
  • Ok DWG support - Autocad 2012 - VERY GOOD!
At the moment I'm working on QCad 3rc5, commercial version.
As soon as I'll terminate my works I'll post an update. I usually use it on Windows.


here's a screenshot:


UPDATE:
Finally I've found QCad really useful and reliable: for about 30€ you got a good software. Obviously, you won't think to substitute Autocad, but for a 3D artist who use CAD only for cleaning and export purposes is the best choice in my opinion. It's just a bit slow in viewport but not so bad.


note on other products:
LibreCad and FreeCad were unusable for my work.
I've tryed Draftsight on Windows and I think it's one of the best but I was unable to find it for Linux 64 (can someone suggest me were I can find it?) and it's not free for commercial use.
AutocadWS is really cool and free but it's good only for opening and converting DWG files.
I wish to test BricsCad but anyway it's too expensive.
BRL-CAD: I'd like to have the time to compile and test it. Maybe in the future...


Pietro

2 comments:

  1. CAD programs for Linux/Ubuntu, and the best Cad programs out there!?

    Solidworks Support

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note on FreeCad: seems to be a nice choose as of today, even if I'm no using CAD software anymore... but it can open STP files without problem so I'd like to suggest it for 3D Artists.

    cheers,
    pietro

    ReplyDelete