Sunday, September 2, 2012

File sync with Ubuntu 12.xx

Hi there,
yesterday I had a little problem: compare two directories in order to update each other, getting back two perfect copies. Easy.
I was used to compare directories with Sync'n'Go with Windows, but... now I'm working with Ubuntu! So, do you know a good utility to get the same result?

After a little google surf, I found Meld Diff in the official Ubuntu 12.01 repository. It has a very minimal interface, but it doesn't work on my pc: infact while it can compare two (or more) directories but the button "Copy right" (or left) doesn't do anything.

So I've googled a little more, and I've found FreeFileSync and it's working very well. I'm planning to use it for backup purposes as soon as I'll come back to my office in Milan.
You can download the executables, the sources, or simply add the repository to yours and install it through apt-get:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freefilesync/ffs

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install freefilesync


Now you can find it in you dashhome, typing "FreeFileSync" and of course, you can also pin it into you launchbar!

No comments:

Post a Comment