Sunday, March 24, 2013

Eclipse vs. Unity: Global Menu not supported? (12.04)

Hi there,
today I decided to setup Eclipse Scala environment on my laptop... I usually work with Aptana but the project I'm currently involved in is based on Scala and I've been told to "dig deep".
So: let's go with customizations!


My perspective is ready, web extensions installed, Solarized theme loaded (well, not as good as Aptana's one)... but... oh my god! Global menu is not working? Why Eclipse's menu is shown below unity bar?!?

After a quick G search I came here : Eclipse is blacklisted from Unity Global menu


So, waiting for Canonical developers solving this issue, here's a simple work around: Hack #46

But seems like it's quite different on my Ubuntu (12.04) so, here's how it worked for me:
  1. sudo vim /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so
  2. /Eclipse <return>
  3. move to 'E' of Eclipse, type 'i' and then replace 'E' with 'X'
  4. <esc> ':w' <return> ':q' <return>
  5. sudo ldconfig
  6. start Eclipse
Thanks to Vasile Rotaru for this hack, I've just adapted it to my Ubuntu 12.04 (64) and added some Vim's commands explications.

Bye,
Pietro

21/5/2013 - Update:
Working for Eclipse Juno and Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) as well.

2/6/2014 - Update:
With Kepler Service Release 2  and Ubuntu 14.04 the problem is solved by default.



No comments:

Post a Comment